The Houston Minority Supplier Development Council (HMSDC) will award scholarships to minority business enterprises (MBEs) to attend HMSDC developmental initiatives. HMSDC will also consider scholarship applications to attend outside programming on a case by case basis. Past recipients have used scholarships to attend the MBE Leadership Academy, CEO Conversations, Dartmouth College Amos Tuck School of Business, and various other trade specific trainings. Participation is limited and will be chosen in accordance with scholarship selection criteria.
Purpose of Scholarships: To strengthen the management skills of a MBE member whose success could be enhanced by attending educational seminars, to expand public awareness of minority-owned businesses, and to reward involvement of members in the Houston Minority Supplier Development Council.
Who May Apply? To qualify, the applicant must be an active and participating owner or principal of a MBE firm certified by the HMSDC and meets the selection criteria.
Application Process: Applications are available on the HMSDC website at hmsdc.submittable.com or by calling (713) 271-7805. All applications must be received at the HMSDC offices by the published deadline. Applications must be submitted through the Submittable site. Incomplete applications and documentation may not be considered.
Selection Criteria: Applications will be judged with equal emphasis on:
(1) at least one year's participation in HMSDC activities;
(2) potential for improvement;
(3) commitment of the candidate to attend;
(4) educational preparation of candidate; and
(5) commitment of the candidate to the scholarship fundraiser (play, sponsor or donate)
Preference is given to applicants who have not received past scholarships from HMSDC and who are active MBEs of HMSDC committees. Applicant must further agree to schedule adequate time to prepare for the chosen course(s) and attend them within the calendar year the scholarship is awarded. Request to defer scholarship beyond the calendar year in which it was awarded must be approved in advance by the HMSDC President.
Selection Process: Winners will be selected by the SDAC Committee. Top candidates will be selected on the basis of written applications and may be invited to an interview with the selection committee for final selection.
Confidentiality: All information submitted by the applicant will be held in strict confidence by the selection committee and used only with the prior consent of the applicant. The names of scholarship recipients and course selection will be announced at the luncheon, listed in HMSDC marketing and social media and possibly included in press releases.
HMSDC Scholarship Guidelines:
- Nominee must be the owner or principal of a certified minority-owned business. If the nominee is a member of the MBE's management team, the owner and nominee must sign the scholarship application, and the nominee’s name and title must be listed on the application.
- Nominee's company must be a dues paying, current certified MBE of the Houston Minority Supplier Development Council.
- Nominee must complete the scholarship application and fulfill all requirements.
- Nominee's firm must be active in Council activities by the following: a) attending seminars, networking luncheons, or EXPO in the past year; and active service on an HMSDC committee in the past year; and c) have played in the scholarship fundraiser or donated or sponsored ($100 minimum) in the past year.
- Nominee's firm must have been established for at least two years.
- Nominee's firm must submit information pertaining to his/her company's growth in employment and/or sales volume.
- Committee will judge nominee's application with equal emphasis on the commitment of the candidate to attend the course and potential for business improvement that most closely matches the business need.
- Candidates must be willing to be interviewed by the selection committee.
- Upon completion of the educational course, the winner must report back to the Scholarship Steering Committee on the program content and describe what he/she gained through participation in this program. Completion of this requirement will impact receipt of future scholarships for your firm.
- Nominee must attend the educational course (or choice of courses) as approved in advance by the Scholarship Steering Committee. The scholarship is not transferable and may not be sold to or used by anyone other than the applicant. If the winner cannot attend the course(s), the Scholarship Selection Committee must be notified.
- Nominee's firm shall be able to demonstrate efforts to support the development of other MBEs.